A new art project each week for the year of 2011!

A new art project each week for 2011!

Monday, April 11, 2011

Week 10: I've got this thing about sunflowers (part 1)

I've always had this thing about sunflowers....

"Oh, I'm as happy as a big sunflower that nods and bends in the breezes..."

That's Pa Ingall's "Trouble Song" from the "Little House on the Prairie" series of books. It stuck in my mind for the last 2 1/2 decades, and I'm sure that sunflowers became the flower to lighten any mood as a result. So, when I found a bunch of silk sunflowers that had been damaged, I just couldn't leave them to be landfill fodder.  Those flowers were made to lighten people's day. 

I cut away the damaged parts, and made them into flower pens.  

Now, I don't know if anyone reading this is ever uncertain about the value of their artistic endeavors, but I constantly am.  While I was making these, I kept thinking, "Good gracious, what's the point of making these? A million people have made them before me--am I wasting my time?" 

Then my oldest daughter saw what I was doing, and put everything in perspective...

"I love flower pens!"

"This one is MINE!"

"I want to keep it FOREVER!"

And she's written me three "I lov mi Momy" notes with it since.  

Yeah, I love making stuff.  Making stuff with THEM is the best part.

No comments:

Post a Comment