A new art project each week for the year of 2011!

A new art project each week for 2011!

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Week 3: One ten-page screenplay, two kids, sick for nine days.

"All That You Think About" , a 10-minute screenplay about how men deal with their thought lives, and how women respond to them.  Click on the linky to read-y, and let me know what you think in the comments below. :)

My goal for next year is to put together a team for the 168project.org competition, where a 10-minute movie is written and produced in a week, based on a Bible verse and a theme of their choosing.  I'm practing writing the 10-minute format.  (Of course, next year I'll have a nanny set up for the week, and  make sure she'll have a flu shot. :) )

To help me practice, I picked a random "verse of the day" from http://www.biblegateway.com/.  Then, I picked a theme that naturally came from that verse.  The verse was Philippians 4:8: 8 Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things." The theme that I gleaned from that verse was "purity." 

The rest came to me in a bit of a flash---and this is a story about guys and their eyes.  :)

During the times when both of the kids were napping (!!!) I was able to pound out  the beats for this screenplay, then finally got a morning to myself to write it all down.  I have to remember that I'm an outliner.  I do my best work when I build the skeleton for the story first, then know where I'm going with the dialogue and the action, fill in some fun details, and make it sucker-punch the reader/viewer with a twist on the very last page.  Even though the kids, and not the art, were my priority during this week, I was able to do a little creating by working the way I work best.


My kiddos have been so sick. :( Between the snow and the flu, we've been house-bound for two weeks.  The only exception was a day when I had to use a hammer to break up the foot of ice that had encased my tires, so I could take them to the doctor.

When my oldest gets sick, we think, "Ok, this is her time to rest, to calm down, to stop climbing the walls, and she'll be fine in a few days."  She fights that sickness like it's one of her favorite bad guys, and she's back to bouncing around in no time. 

When my youngest gets sick, it's like the whole world comes to an end.  Her fever goes higher, her energy goes lower, and her little body just doesn't want to put up much of a fight. It breaks everyone's hearts.  She was coughing, sputtering, feverish, inconsolable....yeah, it was rough on her. 

Right now, the youngest is sleeping well, has no fever, and has stopped coughing.  We're hoping that the battle is over, but we're staying vigilant, and praying.  Next year, we're getting the flu vaccine.


I have to put in a blurb for Michelle Ward, both here and here.  I have NOT yet used her coaching service, but just her newsletter ( titled, "8 Ways to Get Through Your Job Without Shooting Yourself in the Face" )  and other blog posts gave me the permission I needed to enjoy working in multiple fields at the same time.  I've always felt like "You will be a complete failure if you don't pick one of these fields and STICK WITH IT! You WIMP"!  That's the whole reason why I started this blog: to help me pick one of these fields and....well...grow up.   

Michelle says I don't have to.  Really? REALLY?  AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH! (I'm running through the fields, happy, so happy!)  She says that it's perfectly reasonable to carve out a career for yourself that puts all of your talents to work.  She profiles clients who are both chefs and (I kid you not) pet portrait painters. Or nurses and ballet dancers.  Or salespeople and members of the blue man group.  Yeah, I made that last one up. 

So, it's okay to make journals one week, write a screenplay the next, and write spoof comedy songs the next? Seriously? Seriously! I'm doing it. I'm seriously doing it.  I'm loving it. 

And I'm no longer looking at any of these projects with a note of regret: "Yes, I love making art journals, but I'll be wasting my talent for music if I focus on this."  No, I'll get to the music.   I'm just making a mess with acrylics right now.  My guitar needs to stay safely in her case until I clean up the mess.  Paint would be a problem for my screenwriting software. I can do all of this.  I can grow.

Thanks Michelle.  I'm buying time with you, as soon as we pay off the first credit card.  You're worth it. :)

Ok, until I figure out how to post the short screenplay here, just email me at d o t t y j y o u n g at y a h o o dot c o m, and ask to read it.  I'll send it to you in PDF format. :) 

And leave me comments to let me know you were here! Over 250 independent views so far---thanks for joining me on this journey. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment