A new art project each week for the year of 2011!

A new art project each week for 2011!

Monday, January 17, 2011

Week 1: Four Backgrounds.

I want to start off this challenge by making backgrounds for  four art journal spreads. Making backgrounds is a fun way to just get color on the page, so you're not facing a big blank nothing when you start to create.  This week, I want to use the instructions from four of my favorite artists (Shona Cole, Kelly Rae Roberts, Pam Carriker, and LK Ludwig) to begin adding the layers of color, then next week, I'll create four different spreads using these backgrounds. 

I made this journal from a recycled cereal box, a bunch of paper bags, some craft wire, and some vintage papers.  (Yeah, I'm weird, but this was fun. :)  It's a lot easier for me to experiment with new techniques if I'm not afraid of ruining some 45 dollar Italian journal from Barnes & Noble.) 

Next, I got some old sermon notes of my husband's that we found when we cleaned out our file cabinet.  Yes, my husband keeps sermon notes, sometimes for years. :)  It was really cool to be able to use these for something--we were a part of a church plant that closed down/restructured/whatever, and it was kind've a painful time for our family.  God seems to specialize in bringing beauty from ashes. :) 




I cut these up, and arranged them in my journal. 

Then, I used some techniques from Kelly Rae Roberts' book, "Taking Flight" to color the background.  Kelly Rae probably wouldn't want me repeating her instructions here, so I won't. :)  But her book is awesome, and I'd recommend it to anyone starting out with trusting your own creative voice. The lighting in my basement just stinks, lol! 

It was really hard to put this down today. I wanted to add more washes of color, do a floral theme, punch out some three-dimensional accents, accent with more alcohol inks and pastels, blah blah blah blah....but the kids needed breakfast.  :) 

The dishwasher broke over the weekend, so I didn't get to post pics of the studio, but I'll do that soon.
Thanks for looking!

No comments:

Post a Comment